GOOGLE YOUR SHIZ HERE!

Friday, May 30, 2008

The trek back to THE VARSITARIAN and some snippets of the filipino culture

Any thomasian know The Varsitarian, I think it's the oldest org paper in the Philippines. What struck me in the front pages though is
VATICAN CONFIRMS DELA ROSA UST’s 95th rector to be installed June 10
Funny because I didn't know that aside from The Pope, The Saints and all, The Vatican has a say to U.S.T`s rector.

I miss Santo Tomas, the smell of grass in the morning field, the adrenaline in the gym, The Ala Starbucks in P noval and that string of joints in the parameters of that heart of espana. Almers, Cocoys, Ryan J gym, Goldilocks, Pizzahut, Lopez, and that fried chicken place which I forgot.

I left Santo Tomas NOT in a heart beat. I had to go through widthrawals because I had an addiction to football at that time. I smell the grass, I drop my bags and drop my course and play. We always had a saying, "Sagabal ang Pag aaral sa Football". How I regret it now. I didnt know anything then so..

The Varsitarian was the first paper I have ever seen my name on. Hahahaha. I figured hat time if I made an impact in those thousands of students in Santo Tomas, I can make an impact in the world. To at least, my little world.

And then I saw yet another headline
Korean student population up
OH DEAR, i think half of the population are Koreans. Nothing Bad with that. But whats funny is the culture change as they trek here for some reason. In Korea, they are all fast and Gungho with discipline and cleanliness. Back here they get (some okay) infected by whats-in-the-air here in the Philippines. I don`t know but do you notice as well as I do that the only time a lazybone Philly gets his butt on fire is when he decides, in a turning point in his life, to GO OUT OF THE COUNTRY? I mean dang, why do you have to get out when we have such a rich country. ITS THE SOMETHING IN THE AIR BABY! Is it culture? Is it the enabling mentality of the filipinos? Dang, whatever that is! We are so entitled to aid for the thousands of years in our colonial minds that we dont even get up and move. But even though the Philippines is still like this, I love this country, we have the best resources and is still a blessed nation, like any other nation. We all ought to be thankful because we have so much that these foreign guys dont have thats why they tread how many miles just to get to this country.

2 comments:

Paoper said...

The Varsitarian is among the excellent school papers in the Philippines. I heard it has a new design and layout, but I haven't seen it yet.

And some Koreans are cute. ;>

Anonymous said...

www.varsitarian.net

visit the site :)

- a varsi staffer